BEng (Hon’s) MSc CEng MCIBSE
Stephen Cowlin gained a BEng (Hons) qualification in Mechanical Engineering and then joined the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust in 2002, where he was involved with the maintenance of the building and engineering services, including central steam plant, management of water systems and asbestos registers and being an Authorised Person for the medical gas pipeline systems amongst his responsibilities.
His other duties included advising through the feasibility, design and construction stages of capital schemes in relation to the mechanical and electrical building services. Subsequently he became involved with energy and environmental issues, such as identifying, monitoring and targeting areas where energy consumption could be minimised and working on and helping to implement Trust policies for waste, water and energy use.
Stephen joined RSP in 2008, as a Mechanical Engineer and was promoted to a Senior Engineer in 2012, Associate in 2014 and Director in 2016. Projects he has worked on include:
• A major programme of air handling unit replacements, replacement of absorption chillers and upgrade of central chilled and condenser water plant at The Royal Free Hospital.
• A steam to MTHW conversion scheme, acute assessment ward and acute respiratory medical HDU for Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.
• An acute assessment ward and breast screening unit facility for St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust.
• A new 34 bed ITU at the Royal Free Hospital.
• Replacement of all mechanical steam traps with GEM orifice traps and the latest phased air handling unit replacement at The Royal Free Hospital.
• A laboratory refurbishment project consisting of Containment Level 2 and clean laboratories at the National Oceanographic Centre, Southampton.
• East Surrey Hospital Operating Theatres (phased upgrade of 8no Theatres & Recovery).
• Domestic water services infrastructure upgrade works at The Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton.
• Essex Police Forensics Laboratory.
• East Surrey Hospital Main Entrance, including retail coffee and pharmacy outlets.
• Further major AHU replacement at The Royal Free Hospital, including 14no operating theatres.
• Benenden Hospital major redevelopment.
• Private hospital Diagnostic Imaging facility (MRI, CT & X-Ray).
• AHU replacements at Bupa Cromwell Hospital.
• Great Ormond Street Hospital Mortuary.
During this time he has also gained an MSc qualification in Energy and Environmental Technology & Economics and subsequently achieved Chartered Engineer status.